Teaching English online can be a relatively easy option to make some $$ and be location independent.
While your options the number of schools greatly improve with a bachelor’s degree under your belt you can still teach online without one.
What you will need (at a minimum) is to:
- Be a native English speaker from USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand.
- Complete a 120-hour TEFL Certificate – you can get these pretty cheap on Groupon and complete it over a weekend. This is the one we did, TEFL Fullcircle for $39USD.
- Be available during China’s peak hours, 6pm – 9pm Beijing time on the weekdays, and 10am – 9pm weekends – for most sites or schools.
Have the necessary equipment:
- A laptop with a webcam or for PalFish a cellphone or tablet.
- A headset
- A quiet place to teach.
- A stable, fast internet connection that allows you to have uninterrupted video chats.
The most popular option for people that do have the above but no degree is PalFish. PalFish is an app-based platform that works on iOS and Android so you only need your phone or tablet.
Teaching for PalFish
There are two main options for teaching here:
- Talk and Live Streaming
- 1-on-1 classes with no curriculum or time commitment restraints, or
- teach to multiple students in a free-form live stream
- set your own rate, usually between approximately $15 to $45 USD per hour
- some classes pay by the minute
- PalFish Official Kids Course
- 1-on-1 children’s classes using the PalFish official course material
- no lesson planning, no talking to parents, no correcting homework
- earn up to $22 USD/hr and make bonuses
Applying to PalFish
The signup process is quick and painless once you have your TEFL but don’t rush it, parents will be judging your suitability to teach their children so you want to get it right.
- Download the app here
- Set up a Payoneer account – this is how you get paid
- Complete your profile on the app including:
- a clear photo
- your written and audio intro
- upload your TEFL certificate
- record an auto-reply message
- connect your Payoneer account
- Submit your profile for approval – you’ll usually hear back within 72 hours
Once you are approved you are able to turn on your own teaching slots and manage your schedule or you can just go online when you’re free, click on “Start Tutoring” and wait for students to call.