For somewhere that doesn’t grow a lot of cacao itself, Oaxaca punches above its weight in the chocolate department.
It’s mostly consumed in a drink but there are plenty of blocks around too.
Check out this Oaxaqueño Chocolate recipe and tutorial if you’re interested in making your own. There’s nothing like peeling your own cacao to make you really appreciate the work that goes into your sweet treat.
- 500 gr. cacao
- 400 gr. sugar
- 1/4 slice of cinnamon
- 15 almonds
- Roast the cacao for 25 minutes over a hot flame.
- Let it cool and peel all the cacao.
- Blend the cacao with the almonds and cinnamon.
- Blend again adding the sugar.
- Pour into your moulds and let cool.
- Mix 2 pieces in 1 lt. of hot milk or hot water.
- Enjoy a hot chocolate.